Mr. Sanjiv Singh is Chairman, Indian Oil Corporation Ltd., with effect from 1st June 2017. Concurrently, he is also Chairman of Chennai Petroleum Corporation Ltd. (CPCL) and Hindustan Urvarak and Rasayan Ltd. (HURL), a joint venture company set up to revive the fertiliser plants at Gorakhpur, Sindri and Barauni.
A chemical engineer from IIT-Roorkee, Mr. Sanjiv Singh joined IndianOil in 1981.He has served IndianOil for over 35 years, spearheading refinery operations as well as mega greenfield and brownfield projects in refining and petrochemicals.
With extensive experience in the refining sector, Mr. Sanjiv Singh played a key role in the setting up, commissioning and stabilisation of two of IndianOil's biggest greenfield refineries at Panipat and Paradip. The commissioning of IndianOil's 11th refinery at Paradip in early 2016, with a capex of Rs. 34,555 crore, is his benchmark contribution to the Indian refining sector. Mr. Singh has also steered the successful implementation of the petrochemical projects of Paraxylene/PTA and Naphtha Cracker with downstream units at Panipat Refinery.
As Director (Refineries) of IndianOil since July 2014, Mr. Singh has endeavoured to improve the operation of IndianOil's 11 refineries by revamping, debottlenecking and modernisation of process units, together with yield and profitability improvement projects, besides undertaking low-cost capacity expansions. He focussed on innovative technologies to create indigenous capability in the field of technology, while enhancing the Company's profitability. He strongly supports commercialisation of indigenous technologies and has led many such 'firsts' in IndianOil refineries like IndMaX (for maximisation of LPG yield), Octamax (for production of high-octane fuel); indJet (production of aviation fuel); inDSK (reduction of sulphur in kerosene); and indeSelect (gasoline desulphurisation), among several others.
Mr. Singh has been a driving force in conceptualising India's mammoth 60 million tonnes per annum refinery being set-up on the West coast of India, which will transform the refining landscape of India. Playing a leadership role in the energy sector, he is partnering India's vision of emerging as a 'refining hub' in South Asia.
A champion of clean and green fuels, Mr. Singh ensured on-schedule rollout of BS-IV fuels across the country in April 2017 and has now set a frenetic pace for IndianOil refineries to meet the tough deadline of introducing BS-VI grade green fuels in the national capital by April 2018 and across the country by April 2020. A staunch advocate of minimum gestation time from concept-to-commissioning, projects at an investment of approx. Rs.40,000 crore are in various stages of implementation in the Corporation in the next three years under his stewardship.
Mr. Singh is also the Vice-President of the Paris-based World LPG Association, the authoritative voice of the global LPG industry representing the full LPG value chain. Under his leadership, IndianOil is swiftly mainstreaming LPG as a clean and affordable cooking fuel among the poor people, especially in rural India, through social transformation schemes like Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana and 'smokeless villages' that targets all households in a village.
Well-known for his technological prowess, innovative ideas, business acumen and people-centric leadership, he has empowered IndianOil teams to perform and deliver exceptional results through positive engagement and a shared vision.
Mr. Sanjiv Singh shares his rich experience and expertise in the field as a member of several industry associations and Government bodies. Academically inclined, Mr. Singh is widely travelled in India and abroad and has presented papers in several important national and international forums.
Other positions held:
- Chairman of Chennai Petroleum Corporation Ltd., a subsidiary of IndianOil
- Chairman of Hindustan Urvarak and Rasayan Ltd. (HURL)
- Member of the Executive Committee of Petroleum Conservation Research Association (PCRA, a Govt. of India body) and Centre for High Technology (CHT, under the aegis of the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas, Govt. of India).
- Member on the Board of Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB)
- Ex-officio member of the Scientific Advisory Committee of MOP&NG
- Expert consultancy to Centre for High Technology (CHT) & Nigeria National Petroleum Company (NNPC), Nigeria.
- Elected as FCC panelist on American Fuel & Petrochemicals Manufacturers (AFPM) Q&A Technology Forum 2015
- Presented a paper on 'Outlook in India - Insights into its refinery-driven demand' at the 32nd Asia Pacific Petroleum Conference (APPEC 2016), the leading Oil & Gas Conference in the Pan-Asian Region, held at Singapore in September 2016.
- Presented a paper on 'Challenges in Indian Oil Refining' at the 7th Refining R&D Panel Meet organised by UOP at Bali, Indonesia, in August 2016.
- Award for outstanding contribution to the field of fuel science conferred at the International Conference on 'NexGen Technologies' for Mining and Fuel Industries hosted by CSIR-Central Institute of Mining and Fuel Research.
- Fellowship Award-2016 of the Centre for Excellence in Project Management (CEPM) for conceiving new projects and leading teams towards smooth and expeditious implementation of mega projects across IndianOil refinery locations.