Heath, Safety & Environment:
The three pillars to ensure safe communities and happy stakeholders
At IndianOil, we believe that it is possible to fuel the energy needs of the Nation while also protecting people and the environment. We are committed to conducting business in a manner that is compatible with the environmental and economic needs of the communities in which we operate, and that protects the safety and health of our employees, those involved with our operations, our customers and the public.
IndianOil accords topmost priority to conducting its business with a strong environment conscience, ensuring sustainable development, safe workplaces and enrichment of the quality of life of its employees, customers and community at large. All refineries are certified to ISO:14064 standards for sustainable development as well as for the Occupational Health & Safety Management System (OHSMS/OHSAS018001), besides having fully equipped occupational health centres. Compliance with safety systems, procedures and environment laws I monitored at the unit, division and corporate levels.
As India’s leading oil & gas corporate, IndianOil remains steadfast in its commitment to excellence in Safety, Health and Environmental (S,H&E) performance. This publication showcases how IndianOilPeople are relentlessly pursuing multiple commitments – at the operations, social and environmental levels – to fully realize IndianOil’s potential as the prime mover of a resurgent India.
Occupational Health At IndianOil
At IndianOil, a focus on employee health is a priority. All programmes are designed with a an eye to ensure to improve the health status, well-being and productivity of employees by creating a workplace environment that actively and consistently reinforces, promotes and supports healthy behaviours.
All refineries are certified to Occupational Health & Safety Management System (OHSMS/OHSAS018001), besides having fully equipped occupational health centres. Doctors and paramedics are specially trained to monitor the health of employees working in hazardous areas. The healthcare personnel regularly interact with shopfloor managers and staff. Various media of communication such as house journals, posters, films, etc. are extensively used for creating awareness.
In addition, personnel working in hazardous areas are subjected to periodical medical examination to study the effect of hazards. Theme-based preventive health programmes are regularly being organized to protect the health of the employees. Some of these programmes include
- Well person screening.
- Hearing conservation program
- The employees are regularly imparted training on work-related hazards and ways & means to protect from such hazards. Some of these programmes are:
- Awareness on occupational health hazards.
- Management of Fatigue at Workplace
- Control of Lifestyle Disorders
- First Aid.
- Art of living
- Cancer prevention and detection program
- Heartcare program
- IndianOil is the first PSU to launch Project Happiness and Wellbeing. Under this project, questionnaires on various topics sent to all employees through mails. A book on Happiness and Well-being has been published. Workshops on Happiness and Wellbeing have also been conducted.
- Corporate Occupational Health Manual developed and is being periodically reviewed, for strengthening and uniform working of Occupational Health services across the Corporation.
- In-house compilation and publication of two health manuals as an attempt to create awareness about key issues on prevention of work related stress, to improve employees’ physical health and prevention of lifestyle disorders with the help of balance nutrition:-
- “Managing Stress and Health at Workplace”
- "Guidelines on Healthy Lifestyle, Nutrition and Occupational Health"
Ina ddition, several active programmes are regularly conducted to boost good health -
- Blood Donation camps are periodically organized at various locations.
- Drinking water portability tests carried out at various locations
- Periodical auditing of systems, procedures and facilities relating to Occupational Health and Hygiene in Refineries by qualified persons including a member from other units at least once in two years.
- Guidelines in place for maintenance and upkeep of foodcourts / canteens across the Corproation
- Nutritional Evaluation Audit (Health & Hygiene) of canteens and guest house kitchens of IndianOil. As a part of Swatch Bharat Abhiyaan, maintenance of Hygiene Index of all Canteens / Kitchens of IndianOil establishments is being maintained and the Hygiene Index prominently displayed.
- Workshops on Management of Food Safety, Health & Hygiene are organized for Administration/HR Officers in charge of Canteens and Guest Houses.